Friday, April 27, 2018 - 4:41 PM

League Side paying respect to the ANZACs before Sunday’s big win against South Fremantle.
Photo: James Jeffery

Last Sunday’s ANZAC game started with a very symbolic moment, as the teams lined up to pay homage to those gallant service men and women who fought so we may have our freedoms of today, the heaviest shower of the day came and went during the playing of the last post.

That set the scene for the first quarter, in which both teams fought out a hard grinding quarter with neither team giving an inch, and for every attack our Falcons made the Bulldogs would dig in and restrict the scoring opportunities keeping us to just 4 points, before South Fremantle finally scored the first major of the game 15 minutes into the first quarter. A Chloe Metcalf snap a couple of minutes later broke the drought for the Falcons, who went into the first change 3 points up leading 10 to 7.

Whatever Coach, Brendan Cullinan said to the team at the break certainly worked, West Perth sprang into action with Ellie Hansen scoring within the first minute and then similar to the weather, where the bright sunshine broke through the clouds, so did Tyhara Garlett kicking the next 3 goals a couple from set shots and a great opportunistic snap and when Laura Pugh strolled into the forward 50 grabbing a handpass and kicking truly in the last minute of the quarter, the Falcons had certainly broken open the game leading by 36 points at the main break.

Ashton Hill break away in Sunday’s win
Photo: James Jeffery

South Fremantle had regrouped during the break and came back out with the same fire in the third as they had in the first with a real arm wrestle, their Ruck was performing very well at centre bounces and around the ground giving the Bulldogs good use of the ball, but the strong defense lead by Laura Pugh and Brooke Hongell was halting in progress they were hoping to make, likewise the South Fremantle defense was doing all they could to bottle things up within the Falcons forward line, by the last change the margin had only increased by 4 points.

Once again though a quick realignment by the coach at three quarter time and the Falcons were back focused on the task and within the first minute Tyhara had her fourth for the day and with Ellie Hansen kicking her second on the run from the goal square the rout was complete. Brooke Whyte, Amy Szeliga and Tyhara booting her fifth the Falcons finished full of running and eventually won 13.12 (90) to 2.4 (16).

The Reserves side had a similar outcome defeating South Fremantle 9.7 (61) to 3.2 (20) with Ruby Riley’s speed and elusiveness proving too much and Katie Rabe’s great rebounding off half back ensuring the defence stayed strong, it was really about an all over team effort with 9 individual goal-kickers.

The U18’s unfortunately succumbed to a much stronger Bulldogs team in the Rogers Cup, but some great signs from first year player Emily Bennett and the Corcoran sisters Dixie and Evie who were amongst the best for the Falcons in the loss, which saw the scoreline 2.1 (13) to South Fremantle 11.12 (78).